Thursday, September 29, 2005

Paintings



This one is acrylic and mixed media. I used photo transfers form photocopies of pics of Ezra Pound and an image by Brian Froud. Strangely enough the girl looks like me. The painting was a process of coming to terms with loving Pound's poetry but hating his rabid anti-Semitism.

It is hard to see but I also quoted from his poem Hugh Selwyn Mauberley on it.

Pound incidently spent almost 20 years in a mental institution as punishment for his anti- American sentiments and collaboration with the Italians in WW2. Most of the photos were taken after he was released from the institution. Unfortunately, and to my embarassment I can not remember the photographer's name.



I am relatively happy with this painting. There are always a few things I would fix but that is partly what it is all about too!

2 comments:

Chirtie said...

Depends on the school and how you approach it. Obviously you wouldn't be telling the kids to go out an train tag, but there are some valid artists who had their roots in graffiti art. Jean-Michel Basquiat was a successful artist whose roots began in graffiti art. There is a film about his life that is quite good called Basquiat. Although it isn't really classroom appropriate it is a good film to see to get some insight into his life.

Chirtie said...

I think silk screening and a few other forms of print making would likely fit what you are wanting to do. Stencilling on a small scale works too. A lot of Inuit art is done with stencils now rather than as stone or wood cuts. I prefer the stone cuts but the stencils can be interesting as well.