Friday, October 14, 2005

The result of gestures...

Gesture drawings are great practice for more serious drawings. Here are a couple of sketches that are direct results of plenty of gesture drawing and lots of drawing in general.























For drawing with pencil or graphite, I always have a wide range of art pencils available. The leads vary in hardness and the things you can do with art pencils as opposed to a regular HB pencil are pretty amazing. My favorites are the very soft graphite leads like EB or EE pencils. Graphite sticks also give a wider range of use than an HB pencil.

2 comments:

Sophia said...

Hey Chirtie,

Your gesture drawings are really good! How long did these drawings take you? I think it would have taken me forever to do anything like these! I don't know if I could do gesture drawing as people were rushing past me at the university - I'd probably have to ask them to come back so I could finish sketching them! hehe

Great tip on the different types of pencils you can use when drawing. I find that the HB pencil is great for light sketches but using different types of pencils helps in shading or portraying different things.

Just wanted to leave a comment on how wonderful your works are! Very inspirational!

Chirtie said...

I think the secret to drawing with pencil is to get right in and get dirty. You should see me after smudging and shading! I usually have graphite from my face to my fingers.

It's worse when I paint... I was known to trot off to art history or anthro with paintbrushes stuck in my hair!